Sunday, April 11, 2010

the Port Authority

Finally going home for my car but first I have to survive the bus terminal.

Words can’t totally describe the Port Authority Bus Terminal, the starting point for my weekend adventure. I know they are trying to take it the way of Time Square, which is only blocks away, but is after all a bus terminal. I was even told they have remodeled the bowling alley. Nothing says ‘America’ like bowling while you wait for your bus. Now that is what makes life worth living.

Stepping from the cab and walking through the door the first thing you notice are the crowds of people. Not the same as airport crowds or train station crowds. No this is something special, the look of refugees from another world. Borderline schizophrenics escaping to New York and one time schizophrenics escaping from it, excited waifs from the Midwest with dreams of glory in their heads and a look of awe in their eyes.

I have to smile and think ‘nope this isn’t Kansas anymore.' It sounds lame but it's oh so true.

As always I have to wonder where everybody is going. Are they happy? Are they sad? Do they have a place to stay or will they be sleeping on my steps when I get back?

I just shrug and step on the bus.

tuneage, Rammstein - Amerika

No comments:

Post a Comment