Monday, January 10, 2011

Observations on Art 1.10

The confusion that is my mind. Painting versus photography, abstract versus realism. it seems to be a never ending debate between my still living brain cells.

I don't paint to create a style of my own, what I do is paint from the heart to share what I feel. I paint for myself and don't really expect anybody to understand it. When I paint I don't think about how somebody will feel about it unless I am actually doing it for somebody.
I just love the feel and the smell of the paints to the point that sometimes I just like to push the oils around with my fingers like a child playing with water paints.

Photography is so totally different to me because it has that instant gratification aspect to it. I love taking a hundred shots and than go picking through them looking for that one shot, the one that says everything I was trying to say.
I care more what people think of my photos. I want to know their feelings, their opinions, and what it makes them think. Yet I spend so much less time on photo than I do on a painting while I'm stressing about them more.

Because of this blog sometimes I write down thoughts that I think I might want to expand on later. Towards the end of last year I wrote 'I need to be more a participant and less an observer' in the world around me. Not that I expect myself to start playing chess in WSP but I feel like I need to open up to everything more. Than Friday night I was at a party and fell into the usual sit back and take it all in routine and realized that I am what I am. I like being the observer, i like sitting back and taking it all in. It's just what I do.

The dilemma is how best to share what I take in. Painting or photography ....

The Church - Under The Milky Way

No comments:

Post a Comment