Friday, April 8, 2011

Observations on Politics and the Coming Shutdown

Some random thoughts on the government shutdown from my increasingly disillusioned mind as we approach 'zero hour' tonight at midnight ….

The fact that the Republicans and their teabagger members will shut down the federal government over the funding of Planned Parenthood strikes me as insanity or political theatre at its absolute worst. They keep saying it doesn't have to be debated today yet they don't offer to take the rider out of the budget bill.

I still miss Keith Olbermann but I'm finding that Lawrence O'Donnell is a worthy replacement. In some ways I like him more than Keith, he seems to be more in your face than Keith and less obsessed with Fox News. Still Olbermann's show on Current TV is slated to start in late May or June and I'll be watching from day one.

It has just amazes me to see so many young, healthy, rich white men debate women's health. All they seem to be proving is how little they know about it and how much less they care. They should know that Planned Parenthood can't spend any federal money it receives on abortion but it doesn’t seem to matter at all. So what does it spend the money on or what is it they want to cut? Teen pregnancy services, diabetes testing, breast cancer screening, and pap smears to name a few. I guess they think the oil companies deserve our money more.

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor reminds me of the spoiled little rich kid on the playground. The bratty kid who was so full of himself because his parents would do or get anything for him and always had that I’m better than you smile on his face. The little shit that would run home and tell daddy when the weird girl yelled at him because nobody else would. Anyway, Cantor reminds me of that little shit, I mean kid.

Finally a question, who do you think would make a better President, Donald or Daffy Duck?

18:00 update - Going to share a bad joke I just received in an email. I'm not sure if I am saying it's bad because it isn't funny or because it's all too true. "What does the Republican party have in common with the Taliban? Both want to use terrorism to take away women's rights and return us to the world as it was like 1000 years ago. Difference? Republicans don't demand a burka.

2 comments:

  1. oooooooooooo

    I was away and missed this!

    My humble opinion is that nobody has the balls to tell it straight and smack the population in the face with reality.

    We're spending way too much, ontop of that, we cut our cash flow (by lowering taxes) and act surprised there are deficits! This is a system problem, not one party.

    Wouldn't it be awesome if we had elected officials brave enough to serve short terms in order to do the right thing? Raise taxes and cut spending so we can pay off debt and just stop overspending!

    I can't believe we're not capable of figuring it out - especially if someone can walk people through the situation we're in, it's pretty bad.

    Ah well...dream the dream

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing I love is that Bush started two wars yet cut taxes, and the wars don't even fall under the budget. That's a totally different thing so they don't even come up. Just declare victory and come home and a major part of the budget crises would be over. Cut oil company subsidies and you have another big chunk.

    Sometimes I just want to scream. It isn't rocket science. Just do what has to be done and quit with the smoke and mirrors.

    ReplyDelete