Sunday, June 12, 2011

Observations from Home 6.12

Friday night was my sis' high school graduation and I started writing this a few times yesterday but for some reason I just couldn't come up with the words which is something that just doesn't seem to happen much. I have written a lot about my sis over the past year and that isn’t about to change but I suppose I have to give up on this. There was a time I liked to call her my mini-me because in many ways she was so much like me but over the past few years she has totally outgrown that nickname. It's as if my parents finally got it right the third time around and created this beautiful, confident, talented young women with such a bright future. I'm so damn proud of her and it chokes me up every time I start writing so I'll just leave it at that.

I was rather proud of myself too because I managed to pack for either an indoor or outdoor ceremony. The threat of thunderstorms and a sweltering hot day moved it indoors but I was ready for it. I wore long black cotton pants, a sleeveless aaronessa shirt, black sandals, and just light makeup due to the possibility of tears. I only mention this because it's far removed from the old jeans and vest I wore to the kid's graduation five years ago. I guess both outfits made a statement in their own way even if it was unintended.

As always seems to be the case with me there is a story to be told. The main speaker at the graduation was US Army colonel who was a class of '81 graduate of the school. Now he was a good speaker, is about to become General Petraeus' chief of staff, and looked awesome with a chest full of ribbons but I didn’t appreciate the rah rah wrap yourself in the flag tone of the speech so I didn’t exactly jump up and clap with everybody else. Now the principal, who was a teacher when i was there, must have noticed because she walked up to me afterwards, shook my hand, and said basically some people never change but than she added "but yet they do." I told her to give me a call if she ever wanted somebody to speak about art instead of war and just smiled. I'm not sure if my dad was proud or thinking here she goes again.

So a day later this is still on my laptop and I still can't seem to put what I feel into words but i think I know how to end this now. Years ago someone gave me a graduation card with a quote written inside. I still have the card because honestly there is no better way to live your life.

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life, define yourself." Robert Frost

Happy graduation mini-me.

Foo Fighters - Times Like These

No comments:

Post a Comment