Saturday, April 17, 2010

the Kid

‘The Kid’ turned 22 today. My brother, my best friend, the one who knows all the secrets and where the bodies are hidden. The best brother a gurl could ever want. If I didn’t have to work I would have taken a road trip to State College just to say hi. So I texted him a happy birthday and got back ‘happy cinco de mayo’. Huh? Than I was informed of an all day party to celebrate cinco de mayo, correct date be damned.

Yup that’s my brother.

Known only as 'the kid' to a select few, like me.

When I think of him growing up, and up, only a few moments stand out. One was when he was playing goalie in a soccer game. An opposing player streaked down the sideline on a breakaway. The kid slid out and kicked the ball away but in the process tripped the player who went head first into the goal post with a very audible clang. As the other player lay bleeding, sorry you know head wounds, my dad worried how the kid would take it. The kid proceeded to jog over for a drink and all he said was ‘damn did you hear that?’

Yup that’s my brother.

Another is the fact that I have only ever seen him cry twice. The first was when my mom passed away and he was a pall bearer at her funeral. He didn't have to do it but he wanted to do it. The other was last fall when we were at the last Penn State home football game of the year. The kid is a senior there. You have to understand us totally weirded out PSU football fans to understand the tears. But I understood.

The Kid

Through the years he has stood by me no matter what. Through good times and bad he has always been there supporting me, consoling me, giving me a hug when I needed it, and a lecture when I needed that. At times he has been my guardian and at others my savior.

So here is wishing the kid a very happy Cinco de Mayo. Sorry I wasn't there for it. I love you, I miss you, and i hope I see you soon.

the Kid's type of tuneage, Coheed and Cambria - The Running Free

1 comment: