Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Observations from the Window 7.6

Really nothing exciting here. As I vegged on the deck recovering from the pig roast on the 4th I was tweeting some quotes that I thought were fitting for the day. I was amazed at how they all still resonate today, some even two hundred years later. Anyway I thought I would put them all together in one place so here they are, all in one place. The first is a Sinclair Lewis quote that has been one of my favs for years.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
Sinclair Lewis

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln

"Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
John Adams

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
James Madison

"Few men have virtue to withstand the highest bidder."
George Washington

"The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government."
Thomas Paine

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

So there you have three of the loves of my strange life in one easy to read package. History, politics, and quotes. I often think the wingnuts should read the quotes of the people they are so fond of quoting. For what it's worth that was your history lesson for today. Don't say they didn't warn you.

No comments:

Post a Comment