Thursday, March 17, 2011

Observations from the Bar 3.17, March Madness

Yes you read the header correctly, from the bar on a Thursday afternoon. So don't ask, just enjoy the green beer.

See my own version of 'March Madness' began today to coincide with the normal version. Penn State is playing Temple in Tucson, Arizona in what is the PSU men's first NCAA tournament appearance since 2001. Why two Pennsylvania teams aren't just playing in the East regional in DC is beyond me but I’m sure there has to be a good reason, airline lobbyist’s maybe. My only problem with this game is how far do I take PSU in my bracket picks? As I write this things are looking good, I'll update with a final score later.

Than Saturday morning the Penn State Lady Lions will make their first NCAA tournament appearance in six years when they play Dayton at the Bryce Jordan Center in University Park. Penn State is hosting the first two rounds of the East Regional with the final rounds in Philadelphia. The added beauty of this is that I just found out last night that thanks to my brother I will be at the game.

I should add here that I'm more than a little pissed at Basketball Fan in Chief Barrack Obama who picked brackets for both the NCAA men's and women's tournaments. Two PSU teams to pick from and he only picks one total win. One? And they say the man knows basketball.

Next up are my Phillies. With a lineup of Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Roy Oswalt, and Cole Hamels the Phillies have arguably the best starting rotation in the history of baseball. They open their season April 1st at home against Houston and no I don't have a ticket, not yet. Honestly I'm not sure I like the idea of the most promising Phillies season ever opening on April Fools' Day.

Finally there are the Flyers. At one point they had the best record in the NHL but now they are in a fight just to finish with the best record in the Eastern Conference. Every year they go into a funk at some point and I’m more than a little worried that they picked the wrong time this year. The Stanley Cup playoffs begin April 13th.

So my March Madness began today at 2PM with green beer and basketball to be followed by the big road trip to Penn State Saturday. Than it's home after the game for Foxy's soft top and all will be right with the world, for now.

Happy State Patty's Day everybody! I love this time of year ....

AC/DC - Thunderstruck

17:50 update - So maybe President Obama knows more about basketball than I was willing to admit. Penn State fell to Temple 66-64 on a desperation shot with 0.4 seconds left in the game. Talor Battle finishes his carrer as Penn State's all time leading scorer and only the third NCAA Division I player ever to total 2,000 points, 600 rebounds and 500 assists.
Been trying to drown my sorrows in green beer but I'm finding it very hard with a damn giant leprechaun in the bar. I'm going to see if a big juicy bacon cheeseburger helps, one smothered in onions, and maybe some peppers too.

From GoPSUSports.com - Battle Tested Lions Leave Everything on the Floor at NCAA Tournament

No comments:

Post a Comment